Eight Shocking Ways Buhari Plans to Fight Corruption.
Buhari bore his mind in a speech arranged by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) at the National Democracy Day Anti-Corruption Summit in Abuja.
The summit theme was “Curbing election expenditure: a panacea for government bribery.”
“At the beginning of this administration, we are now taking stock of the advancement made so far in the war on bribery, evaluating what needs to be done and developing fresh approaches to solve current problems.
“I am happy to tell you that this method has already begun with the latest interaction between all anti-corruption organizations in Nigeria and the Presidential Advisory Committee against Corruption.
Eight Ways President Buhari Plans to Fight Corruption in His Tenure
“The outcome of the interaction, among others, shall serve as the basis for a more concerted effort by this administration to:
- Strengthen the capacity of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and other anti-corruption agencies by providing additional material, organizational and logistical support;
- Close existing legislative loopholes, facilitate collaboration with the judiciary, and strengthen the criminal justice system;
- Enforce effective asset declaration by public office holders and ensure sanctions by professional bodies against lawyers, bankers, brokers, public officials, and other individuals facilitating corrupt practices;
- Ensure comprehensive support and protection to whistle blowers, witnesses and victims of corruption;
- Adopt and formulate the policy of ‘naming and shaming’ all those who engage in corrupt practices while encouraging and honoring those who do not;
- Educate, mobilise and encourage Nigerians at the grassroots level to take ownership of the fight against corruption;
- Press for a crackdown on safe havens for corrupt assets, abolishing of bank secrecy jurisdictions and tax havens on the continent and beyond;
- Insist on the unconditional return of looted assets kept abroad and further strengthening of international cooperation through information and mutual legal assistance.
Buhari urged Nigerians to join the fight against corruption to restore sanity to our system.