To promote sustainable economic development and social equity by upholding the environmental integrity of the Western Cape; and To serve as Head of Department and Accounting Officer of the Department of Environmental Affairs and Development Planning.
- Appropriate Postgraduate Degree (NQF 8) Minimum of 8 years’ senior management experience, 3 years of which must be with any organ of state as defined in the Constitution, Act 108 of 1996.
- Successful completion of the Certificate for entry into the SMS.
Note: A requirement for appointment at Head of Department Level is the successful completion of the Senior Management Pre-entry Programme as endorsed by the National School of Government. This is a Public Service specific training programme which is applicable for appointments at SMS level. Full details are available at: https://www.thensg.gov.za/training-course/sms-pre-entry-programme
Key Performance Areas
Line Management: Strategic management, guidance, and advice in respect of the rendering of efficient and cost effective, transparent, and responsive public administration. This includes the following functions:
- Ensure cohesive and integrated environmental governance in the Western Cape
- Strategically advance the environmental sustainability of the Western Cape
- Sustain the environmental quality of the Western Cape
- Ensure integrated environmental and land management in the Western Cape
- Provide a management support service to the Department. Strategic Management (including change management): Define and review on a continual basis the purpose, objectives, priorities and activities of the Department
- Drive the Departmental strategic planning process
- Drive the development and management of the strategic and business plans for the Department
- Evaluate the performance of the Department on a continuing basis against pre-determined key measurable objectives and standards
- Report to the Provincial Minister on a regular basis on the activities of the Department and on matters of substantial importance to the Administration
- Monitor and ensure compliance with relevant legislation and prescripts in respect of adequate and appropriate record keeping of the activities of the Department, and of the resources employed by it
- Foster and promote a culture of innovation within the Department. People Management: Participate in the recruitment of employees in the numbers and grades appropriate to ensure the achievement of the Department’s Business Plan
- Motivate, train and guide employees within the Department, to achieve and maintain excellence in service delivery Actively manage the performance, evaluation and rewarding of employees within the Department
- Ensure involvement in the compilation of a workforce plan, a service delivery improvement programme, and an information resources plan for the Department
- Promote sound labour relations within the Department. Financial Management: Manage participation in the budgeting process at Departmental level, and at Chief Directorate level
- Ensure the preparation of the Annual and Adjustment Budgets for the Department
- Assume direct accountability for the efficient, economic and effective control and management of the Department’s budget and expenditure
- Assume direct accountability for ensuring that the correct tender and procurement procedures are adhered to in respect of purchases for the Department
- Assume overall accountability for the management, maintenance and safekeeping of the Department assets
- Ensure that full and proper records of the financial affairs of the Department are kept in accordance with any prescribed norms and standards.
Knowledge of the following:
- latest advances in public management theory and practice, modern systems of governance and administration, policies of the government of the day, global, regional and local political, economic and social affairs impacting on the provincial government of the Western Cape, Constitutional, legal and institutional arrangements governing the South African public sector, inter-governmental and international relations, communications, media management, public relations, public participation and public education. Strong conceptual, interpretive and formulation skills.
- Strong leadership, team building and interpersonal skills. Exceptional planning, organizing and people management skills.
- The ability to multi-task, deal with ambiguity and manage change in an ever-changing environment and under pressurized circumstances.
- R 1,521 591.00 per annum (Level 15) (All-inclusive package to be structured in accordance with the rules for SMS) plus a 10% non-pensionable HOD allowance.